November 22, 2007 01:15am
AN international student broke down in tears yesterday when she saw the damage to her gutted inner-city home.
Aida Farhana, 20, from Malaysia, shares the rented Royal Ave house with three international students, who are abroad at present.
She was not in the house when the blaze began in the early hours yesterday and only learnt about it when she returned about 11.15am.
The second-year psychology student was overwhelmed by the damage.
Her neighbour raised the alarm about 4.30am.
Melody Cooper, 22, said she feared for the safety of her neighbours as the adjoining maisonette was engulfed in flames.
"I went out the front and saw the house was on fire," she said.
"I called triple O then grabbed my little girl and ran outside.
"I knew there were some girls living there but I didn't know if they were inside. I was extremely concerned for them.
"It was very scary. I thought it could spread to my home. The firemen wouldn't let us back into our house."
Fire-cause investigator Stephen Davies said Metropolitan Fire Service crews smashed into the house "because at that time of the day we assume that there is someone in the building".
He said: "It appears it was an electrical fault caused by an airconditioning unit on the roof."
Damage was estimated at $200,000.
its already 3am and its cold, but i dunno y i cant get my eyes closed and have a good sleep. too many things spinning in my brain rite now, including the notes i read past few days for this friday exam.
takziah to aida n co, it is so sad that i missed the news on tv. tgh solat asar r kot.. huhuh